Saturday, February 27, 2016

Week 24- Feb 22-26

This was a crazy week. I thought we'd get through the full moon unscathed, but no luck. We ended up having a class meeting on Tuesday. The VP railed on the kids about their recent behavior (much needed). They've now lost the privilege of going to the restroom in between classes. They can go in the morning, after lunch, and after rotation. So far it's working great. No more tardies, everyone is in class and has their materials ready. No more hallway shenanigans.

We also started a new Study Skills routine this week. We've seen a drop off in productivity lately, lots of lost or not-done homework. As an incentive, we let the kids have a 25 minute study skills, and then we check to see who's done. If they're all done, they go outside for Recess. If they're not, or if they have recess detention, they stay inside and get caught up. It works brilliantly.

Monday- We used some Science Cut Ups to describe Food Webs. The cards had things like "This food web has 3 consumers" or "this food web has 3 organisms that only eat producers"

Tuesday- We played Trashketball!

Wednesday- The kids took their test. They did better on it than any other test so far. Easy unit, or Ms. Lynch is finally getting the hang of these 5th graders? Who knows.

Thursday- We started a new vocabulary. I also introduced the butterflies that we'll be growing from caterpillars. I ordered a kit from Carolina that comes with the larva (in a cup with food) and a netted basket to transfer them to once they're become butterflies. The kids are really interested in them!





Friday- We began our unit with Incomplete Metamorphosis. I used some of the Science Doodler's notes, and a page of my own creation so kids could practice the order of the stages. Also here are our larva today.


The kit I ordered came with a booklet of worksheets, crosswords, diagrams, etc. I took the next pages out of that, and we're going to measure our butterflies as they grow.





Two weeks til Spring Break! I cannot wait. I got sicker again this week, and almost lost my voice again. Back to the doctor for me!



~Ms. Kat





No comments:

Post a Comment