Friday, February 5, 2016

Week 20- January 25-29

The kids are getting antsy. It feels like it should be spring break already! If only we could be so lucky.

Monday- We talked about cloud types, and used cotton balls to make a model of the 3 main cloud types. I gave each student 2 cotton balls. One they unrolled and made a stratus. The other they split in half. One half they pulled apart loosely to make a cirrus cloud. The other half was then pulled into thirds to make 3 tiny cumulus clouds


Tuesday- We took notes on the Water Cycle using The Science doodles notes pages found here

I also did the demonstration using the "All the water on Earth" page from that same bundle. The kids loved it, and were amazed at the comparison between fresh and salt water.

Wednesday- We did a lab over the water cycle. I discovered these activities at CAST last year.

1. Make a condensation chamber. You need 2 cups, one big (like a solo cup size but clear) and one small (like a  punch cup) that will fit inside the big cup.

They begin by pouring green hot water in the big cup. They immediately set the small cup down into the big cup to seal it. The inside will fog up.

They then place ice water (blue) into the top cup and watch as condensation forms, and eventually precipitation droplets on the outside of the little cup. I'll try to remember to get a photo when I get back on Monday.

2. I bought an inflatable globe from Hobby Lobby (while our big order to Carolina/Nasco is being approved, yay budget spending time!) and I tossed the ball to each student. They had to catch it with both hands and tell me where their index fingers landed (land or water). We tallied all of them up and most landed with 68-73% water

Thursday- We did our Unit reviews. I haven't uploaded this one to TPT because half of it I ended up drawing in before giving to my students.

Friday- We used some Science Cut Ups to differentiate between Weather and Climate

Hope you're having a great January!
Ms. Kat

No comments:

Post a Comment