Saturday, November 26, 2016

Week 10 Oct 24-28

Woah, I kind of got REALLY behind there, didn't I?

Let's catch up.

Monday- Forces lab

We set up ramps using our otherwise USELESS science textbooks and these neat little cars I found stashed in the Science closet. I wish we had time to do a more involved experiment. Maybe during STAAR review...


I had the groups call out their measurements so we got to see why we were doing 3 trials. I then did an average on each one and used that as our conclusion.


Tuesday- Light + Reflection

We talked about the properties of light and how it reflects off of surfaces. I also finally got to break out my LAZER MAZE! I bought these last year after this unit, and was so excited to break it out. The kids LOVED it. I used it for a whole class demonstration, and it seemed to bring about a lot of light bulb moments.




Wednesday- Refraction and Opacity

We talked about the varying levels of see-throughness (transparent, translucent, opaque) and how light bends as it passes through objects.

Our activity wasn't on refraction,  but rather shadows. We tested light sources at different angles on different objects and showed how shadows get longer with a lower angle of light (like sunrise or sunset).




Thursday- Absorption and color

We talked about how light is absorbed, and how the combination of light being absorbed/reflected causes different colors. I blew their minds. Again.There's a lot of that going around this unit.




Friday-Unit Review

The kids used their science journal to work on their unit review. I took off this day, as it was :
A. A friday
B. Orange out day (wear as much orange as possible)
C. The last school day before Halloween monday
D. The end of red ribbon (aka costume) week.

Best.Decision.Ever.

Back in a mo for weeks 11-13


No comments:

Post a Comment