Sunday, January 10, 2016

Week 17- January 5-8

It was almost a relief to go back to work. I enjoy a break as much as the next person, but I was beginning to feel a bit agoraphobic. Let's start the space unit, shall we?

Monday- Staff Development day! We worked in our classrooms. I god SO MUCH done.

Tuesday- I noticed that as the year went on, I was giving out more behavior correction slips, and less reward tickets. People were also starting to horseplay in the lab, and a few ended up getting themselves kicked out for a day.

Because of this, I spent Tuesday going over my procedures again. I gave the kids a self-made WS that asked questions like:

Name 2 things you should do when you walk into my class (grab your papers, journal, sit quietly)
What days do we grade homework? (Wed and Fri)
What do you do if you lose your homework? (get a 2nd copy, -20 points)
What do you do if you're absent? (get your makeup work, check the weekly agenda to see what all you missed).
Name 2 things that are considered 'horseplay'

They did pretty good, and we cleared up some misconceptions.

Wednesday- We began our unit for real. We took notes on the characteristics of the Earth, Sun, and Moon. After, I had the kids try to separate some characteristics into columns to decide whether it belonged to the Earth, Sun, Moon, or more than one.






Thursday- A while back (when I was student teaching), I was introduced to these awesome little game/activity/manipulatives. I bought some at CAST this year. I used the Earth, Sun, Moon Characteristics one today.

I had all of my sets cut and laminated, but decided against using them in groups. I had a feeling there would be a lot of confusion and chaos and I wasn't quite ready for that. Instead, I put them in groups, gave them a sheet with 3 columns like we had yesterday, and I wrote a letter on each card. I showed the letter, read the fact, flipped it a few times in case anyone missed the letter and fact, and the kids had to discuss where the fact goes and why. Overall they did really well!

http://www.sciencecutups.com/

Friday- We took notes on Rotation and Revolution. After, the kids answered some questions related to the two concepts.




Overall it was a good week back. The kids love the space unit and they have so many questions! I'm having to google things I don't know, which makes me happy and proud.

Hope your January is going well!
~Ms. Kat

PS I went back to Comic-Con this weekend, this time in New Orleans! I met Jenna Coleman (finally!) and Norman Reedus (because everyone loves Daryl). I had a blast, despite the 5 hour trip each way.


LOOK how precious she is! I want to stow her away in my pocket and go on adventures through space and time with her.


And we weren't supposed to be taking pictures but LOOK! A Wild Daryl! He was super nice. If I wasn't crushing on him before, I am now.

Peace and Love~

No comments:

Post a Comment