Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Week 9- October 19-23

Let's continue with the catch-up posts.

Monday- Series vs. Parallel circuits. We compared the two types of circuits and how they are different.

We took notes, and drew a few examples of each. After, we completed the c-scope worksheet to allow the kids to practice identifying the two types of circuits.




Tuesday- We did a lab where the kids built circuits. They had to build 4 different kinds. I wanted them to do some series and some parallel, but our batteries were not strong enough to make that journey. I'll have to invest in new ones next year.



Wednesday- We talked about forces, balanced and unbalanced, and how they affect objects.  We then practiced with boxes, using different amounts of force and determining which way the object would move.

Thursday- We talked specifically about three special kids of forces: Gravity, magnetism, and friction. We also spoke about Inertia. I gave the kids a picture I found back in the Lab Safety Unit (where they identify broken lab rules) and made them identify places where forces were acting on objects


Friday- We did a lab on Forces.
I set out 6 station around the room. I had originally wanted to stretch a rubber band between two chair legs. However, my rubber bands were too small. Instead, I stretched the rubber band between a chair leg and the leg of a student table.

I placed tape on the floor, and lined up one edge with the edge of the rubber band. Then, I marked 1cm, 3cm, and 5cm marks on the tape.

Students took a small plastic car and pulled it back to each of the marks. They repeated their trials 3 times each. They measured the distance each car went with a measuring tape.

I had wanted them to also try placing weights into the cars, but we didn't have time.

3 more days until Thanksgiving! The teachers and students at my school are beyond ready. Hope things aren't too crazy for anyone else!

~Ms. Kat

No comments:

Post a Comment