Thursday, August 28, 2014

Week 1

Oh my Glob!

School began a whole 4 days ago. We are already almost done with the first week of school! Time is passing with a quickness I had not anticipated. I can't say that's a bad thing though.

Both my new 7th graders and I are still getting into the swing of things. Each day goes a little better than the last, which is excellent.

To sum up the week so far:

Monday- I had students fill out their About Me pennants while I told them about myself. We went over some of the classroom expectations and procedures. I broke the kids into 6 groups and sent them to their lab stations, where they were to study a sheet about one of the major procedures in our class (make-up work, rewards, consequences, class library, NOISE letters and Exit Tickets). They then had to present that procedure to the class. We finished up with a few more basic things like the No Name board, how to enter and leave, and how to get my attention when they needed help (more on that later). We finished up with a video from John Green: http://youtu.be/x78PnPd-V-A



Tuesday- We started Lab Safety. I passed out the Science Is A Blast sheet (from C-scope) and had the kids work in pairs to identify all of the lab rules being broken. They circled each one and numbered them. Then they wrote on the back which rule was being broken. we went over it as a class, and I collected this as their first Daily Grade!



Wednesday- We watched a Video by Hank Green, found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRWRmIEHr3A (also available on Schooltube).
We then used a set of matching cards to match a scenario to a lab rule. They had 10 rules and 10 scenarios in a plastic baggie, and worked in groups (each set of tables was a 'group,' from 4-6 kids). We finished up by talking about our Unit Project: Lab Safety Brochure. I gave the kids a rubric and explained how it worked. We folded our brochure and went over exactly what needed to be in the brochure.


Here are the instructions I gave the kids for setting up the brochure:
Fold a sheet of paper (we used neon color paper) into thirds. I had them hold it so it was landscape, then bend the left side over a little more than half-way, bend the right side over on top, even the edges out, then Smush!

The front is the title page. They need to have a title about lab safety, and it needs to be easy to read and big enough that I can see it from a few feet away.

I had them flip over onto the back and write their name down at the bottom. On this same side, I had them write the number 5 at the top (in either corner).

Once they opened up to the middle, I had them number the left column 1, the middle 2, and the right 3. Then they folded that right panel in, and gave it a 4.

They're going to finish their brochures Thursday. They'll be due Friday before they take their Lab Safety Quiz.







Until later,
~Ms. Kat


No comments:

Post a Comment