Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Rewards Binder

Hello again, internet! I just have a quick post today.

I stumbled upon this idea on the internet and decided I wanted to give it a try as it works well with my planned system.

I'll explain my entire consequences/rewards system at a later date, but for now, here's the nifty do-it-yourself rewards idea.

Students earn tickets in my class (more on that soon). When they save up enough tickets, they're able to trade them in for vouchers. In order to facilitate picking and keeping track of all earned vouchers, I made this binder.

I found these nifty little pockets at Joanns (they're like the ones used in library books...back in the day when due dates were stamped on cards). They have adhesive on the back, which is terribly nifty. I bought some Avery printable label sheets and chose a very simple blank design (they have lots of designs for labels on their website...free of charge). My pockets were already pretty so I decided simple labels were best. I put my reward choices on the labels, printed them out, then stuck them to the pockets. The pockets were then attached to a page in a 3 ring binder.

When a student wants to trade in tickets, they let me know and I pull out the ticket binder. They browse, select their prize, and receive a voucher (not shown in pictures as I haven't made them yet). I keep track of the Student, date, and voucher selected. This way no one can sneak in and take one when I'm not looking. You could also make a habit of signing the vouchers, but if they're generic enough, the kids might photocopy them. You never know these days ; )

Anyway here's a picture of one of my pages
My rewards are:
Sit in a beanbag chair (for one class)
Sit in my rolley chair (for one class)
Sit by a friend (for one class)
Pick your partner
Cup of ice (the kids love chewing on ice!)
Paper guard (they get to pick up and pass out papers for 3 classes)
Late work Pass (used to prevent a late paper from being an automatic 70 before grading)
Shining recommendation (I send an e-mail or letter home telling their parents of the students great behavior)
Write a note on the whiteboard (has to be appropriate and stays up for a week)
Write our agenda (student has to come in before school every day to write agenda on board)
Listen to music (they may bring their mp3 player and listen using headphones during independent work or freetime after a test)
Scratch-off (I create these using a tutorial I'll link below. The rewards can be any of the above. Kids love the mystery and surprise)

Here's a tutorial for making your own scratchoffs: http://www.thedaintysquid.com/2012/03/diy-scratch-off-tickets.html

These rewards are geared toward middle school students. If you're in Elementary or High School, there's a wealth of ideas out there to help you devise your own options. You could also wait until school starts and ask your students for what options they'd like to have!

Thanks for reading! I'll be back in a few days with my more details on my rewards/consequences system.

Ms. Kat

No comments:

Post a Comment