Sunday, August 16, 2015

Goodbye, Summer

Here we are again, at the tail end of summer. I couldn't have asked for a better one. I played through a few of my stock piled video games, went to Universal Studios, Comic Con, and read a number of books.

And, to my own amazement, I planned through Christmas!

Yes, you heard that right. I have every page of notes, slideshow, foldable, warm-up, lab sheet, review, and test done through Christmas break. I'm exhausted just thinking about it. My goal was about 2 weeks of instruction for each week of summer break. It worked out perfectly.

And now, after a week of professional development, I'm forming the skeleton of my classroom. When I started last year, I had only a vague inclination of how to run a class. I know my content better than anyone, but the finer details were something I had to learn through experience. And learn I did.

I'd like to share a few of these that I've already set up, and am preparing to use this coming year. 5th grade is the only grade (pk-12) that I haven't had in some form, so I'm not sure exactly what to expect.

1. Noise level
     I had a basic noise chart last year but didn't use it enough. I'm going to be really thorough and consistent with it this year. I'm using this one. I printed the cards out, laminated (I taught myself how to use the laminator!) and stuck magnets to the back. The 5th grade hall was built in this century so it has magnetic white boards (!!!).
2. Objectives
     You're going to see a lot of The Science Penguin here. I would prefer to make my own, but there's no time for that, so I'm using Ari's brilliant mind and design skills. She has all of the 5th grade state standards typed up in to "I can" statements. I printed each out on green paper, laminated, and they'll hang right above the noise-o-meter, and right next to our Agenda (when I get around to making an agenda sign...)

3. Exit Tickets
     Last year, I gave up on exit tickets fairly quickly. I had 3 folders (got it, kinda, and what?) and kids put the exit ticket in the folder on the way out. Most just put it in got it, unless they were feeling cheeky and put it in what?
     New game plan.
     I cut large index cards in half and numbered them 1-26 (i shouldn't have more than 26 students in each class, each desk has a corresponding number). I laminated these too (I might be in love with the laminator). I also stuck magnets to the backs of these.
     At the end of class, I'll have an exit ticket question. The kids will use some Vis-a-vis markers (because they erase far better than dry erase) on their card then stick it to the correct class section on my white board. I sectioned a part of my board off using magnet strips with sticky backs. I then stuck ribbon to the sticky parts. I didn't want to use tape and risk ruining the board.

4. You may
     This is also courtesy of the Science Penguin. I used a few of the pre-typed cards, and then made a bunch of my own. When my kids are done with their assignments and have extra time, they can pick something from the "You may" board to do. Things include improving the quality of their science journals, reading a magazine (see below),  studying vocab, correcting returned papers, or helping me by stapling or cutting papers.





5. Science Magazines
     Among the wealth of other things I found in this room, there are approximately 50 different issues of a scholastic science magazine. Class sets of them. Most with a lesson plan of some sort. I took 2 of each and put them in this container so that the kids could read them when they want, along with a few of my own science books.



6. Lab roles
     It's always an argument when kids get into a lab and try to figure out who's doing what. This solves that problem. I printed out the cards, laminated, punched a hole in each and used yarn to make it into a necklace. Now, everyone knows what their job is, no one slacks, and there's no arguing. I'm assigning groups ahead of time this year and projecting the list/roles when we break into lab groups (as opposed to last year when I pulled Popsicle sticks. Lab Role Cards

We go back for more Professional development tomorrow, and then have another day and a half to get our rooms together before Meet the teacher night this Wednesday. I'll try to upload a few more pics when I get there!

Hope you're all having a great summer,
~Kat

No comments:

Post a Comment