Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Week 20

I can't believe I've finally learned how to *mostly* keep caught up on my planning and copying. I've been ahead enough that I've had all of a week's work planned and printed the week before. Yay me!

Here's what this week looks like:

Monday: Cell vocabulary
Here's our vocab words: Cell, Cell Theory, Prokaryotic Cell, Eukaryotic Cell, Organelle, Chromosome, Mitosis (we're saving meiosis for genetics), Tissue, Organ, Organ System, Organism, Stimulus (we're touching on it here and coming back to it for Teks 7.11)

Tuesday: Cells Introduction/ Cell Theory

We discussed the history of cells, how they were discovered, what they actually are, and Cell Theory. We then covered Prokaryotic and Eukaryotic cells. We compared and contrasted them using a Venn Diagram.

Wednesday: Organelles
We took notes using this as a template: Oodles of Organelles. I modified it a bit, and made it 3 pages (because we're learning 15 organelles).

We also watched this video Organelles Rap. My 8th period is so squirrelly, I have to break up all notes with other things, so we watched an extra video in their class Organelle Song. Both were catchy, and the kids enjoyed them. My 5th and 6th periods actually sang along with the first song (hilariously off key, might I add).

Thursday: Cells Lab
I've set up 6 microscopes, each with a different slide. I've used An insect wing (I think it's a fly), Human blood, bacteria, an amoeba, plant epidermis, and a starfish arm. The kids are going to be looking for different types of cells and trying to associate what they look like with their function. I wish I had some bone cells, cause the kids are amazed by them. I spent a solid 2 hours organizing our slide collection and putting them into groups (all the mosses here, plants here, fungus there). We have a good variety, but I might have to ask for a few new slides if we have extra in the budget = )

Friday: Vocab Quiz and Organelle Matching Game
My kids are going to take their vocab quiz first.
I've begun something new with each unit. In an effort to help boost academic vocabulary (which is what the whole district is working on at the moment) I'm starting to add Prefixes/Suffixes/Root words to our vocab set. This unit, we have 7. Cyto-/Cyte-, Pro-, Eu-, Meta-, Ana-, Telo-, and Lyse/Lyso. We've been using them for 2 days now every time they come up, and the kids are getting pretty good at recognizing them.

I bought this resource on TPT because I reeeeealy didn't feel like making my own. I've gotten to the state of mind now where I will in fact pay to free up a little of my precious time. These are far more than I'd need, but I was able to cut and paste and only use the cards we really need. Organelle Matching Cards

After this, we're about half way through our cells unit. I'm never certain how much detail to go into, but hopefully between this and next week we're covering everything that needs to be covered and not going too deep into anything.

The 50 fetal pigs in my cabinet send you a tiny stiff salute.

~Ms. Kat

No comments:

Post a Comment