Friday, July 25, 2014

New job! and NOISE

Hello there, internet! I have some splendorous news!

My first interview landed me a job! I'll be teaching 8th grade science at a Junior High about 25 minutes away. It's one of the best schools in the area. It's a lot like my dream school (the one I attended and student taught at).

I'm also going to be taking on the Drill Team! I haven't received much info on it yet, but it shouldn't be too much of an issue. I was in DT in high school, and I recall a lot of our practices. Hopefully I'll have a little bit of help! I've already been through CPR and Concussion training these past 2 days (hitting the ground running indeed), and I met the High School DT sponsor yesterday. I feel stressed and a bit crazy, but I'm taking it one day at a time.

It's really lucky that I decided to outline the first 6-weeks of each grade level this summer. I have a plan made up for our first 6-weeks (which is technically only 5 weeks), and I'm working on my beginning of the year, welcome to my class, here's how things work lesson right now. So exciting!


I wanted to mention one thing that I failed to bring up last time. This goes along with the noise level chart. I made these letters from unfinished wood letters and scrapbooking paper. When students become too loud for a particular noise level, you remove the E and give them a warning. If they become too loud again, you remove the S and they are to work in silence for 5 minutes. If they get too loud a third time, you remove the I and you're left with NO. That means NO more talking for the rest of the class.



I tend to design my group work where it's possible to complete independently. I prefer them to work in groups because they have more fun, bounce ideas off each other, and learn better. But group work is a privilege. It requires maturity and self-control. If they show me they can't handle it on that particular day, they will be working solo.

I'll be terribly busy for the next month while preparing for school, so I probably won't be able to post much, but I'll try to pop in and share my lessons and other odds and ends as I go.

May the Science be with you,
Ms. Kat

No comments:

Post a Comment